This article is meant to give you a step by step guide on how to create a Facebook account and also how to set up your Facebook profile.
As you may already have known Facebook is currently the largest social media network in the world with well over two billion subscribers.
When you create a Facebook account you will be able to share whatever interesting stories you got with friends, you will also be able to upload your pictures, chat with your friends, and much more stuff you can do.
Create a Facebook account
- It is absolutely free of charge to have a facebook account.
- You need to have a working email or a valid phone number in order to create an account. You can open a free email with Gmail or Yahoo.
- It is also required that you should be at least 13 years of age to have an account.
If you’ve got these, then you are good to go. Take the following steps to create a Facebook account.
- On your browser go www.facebook.com This will take you to Facebook homepage.
- You will then need to enter in your information in the space provided. It will look something like this. Enter your first name and surname. (Nicknames are allowed provided is a variation of your real name). Your mobile number or email address. (Not both). The password you would like to use to login to Facebook. (To make your password strong, you need to combine both upper cases, lower case, and numbers to it). If your password is not strong enough you may be asked to re-enter a stronger password. Enter your date of birth. Choose your gender.
- Then click on ‘Create an account’. If you have provided the right information a verification email or SMS will be sent to you.
- Now login to your email and click the link sent to verify your account. Note that it may take a few minutes for the email to arrive. You may also be required to enter the code sent along with the verification email.
That’s it. You’re done. You may now login to your account using the email or phone number as the case may be and the password you provided.
You have successfully created a Facebook account. The next thing you want to do is to set up Facebook profile.
How To Set Up Facebook Profile
Add a Profile Picture. The first thing you should do after creating your facebook account is the add a profile picture. This may help family and friends searching for you on Facebook to find you easily, as they can use the photo to differentiate you from others who may have same name and surname as you. It also increases engagement as most people don’t like to chat with a “faceless” person. Do you?… Lolz.
So, to add a profile picture simply do the following:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on your name at the top right side of your screen.
- Click ‘add photo’ top left.
- Then you will need to choose whether you want to upload a photo or take a new photo. If you decided to upload a photo you already have saved in your system then click upload.
- Select the photo you want to use and open.
- Then click ‘save’.
Your profile picture will now be uploaded to your profile.
Add Cover Photo.
You can add a cover photo by following the same process as outlined above only this time instead of ‘3’ above you click ‘add cover photo’. The rest of the process is as already outlined for adding a profile picture.
Facebook is all about connecting with friends. So you need to find your friends and then send them friend requests when they accept they will be added to your friend’s list. There are many ways to this.
Facebook may serve you with a list of people you may know based on the data you have provided when you created the account and your location. Simply go through the list and click ‘add’ to send a friend request to anyone you may know. It’s safer to simply ignore those you don’t know.
On the other hand, you can also search for friends using their email address, phone number or their names. To do this once logged in, go to your profile and click on friends, then click ‘add friends’. Enter the details of the person you want to look up and search.
Or you can simply use the search the box at the top of your news feed, just enter a name, email or phone number of the person you want to add.
When you find the person click add to send a friend request.
Setting Up Your Privacy Settings
This is a very important aspect of setting up your Facebook account that you shouldn’t ignore.There may be things you post that you don’t want some persons to see, you can set it up in privacy settings. The Picture below shows some options you can choose from.
Review your privacy settings as you may wish.
You’re all set to go. Share your thoughts with friends, upload your photos, and also chat up your friends and family with ease.
If you enjoyed this post on how to create a Facebook account and if it was helpful please share it with friends and family.
Also, please share your thoughts with us in the comments box below.